Monday, July 30, 2012

Take Me Out to the Ball Game

I can't seem to get "Blogger" to upload my photographs, but I will keep trying and, if all else fails, add them later. I had a good night's sleep in the hostel after a pretty exciting evening. From my wanderings yesterday I realized I was a mere three blocks from Suncorp Stadium, the home of the Brisbane Broncos rugby team. When I went out for dinner last night there was a sea of humanity flowing towards the stadium and I realized it was game night! Rather than go to a restaurant, I decided to go to the game and eat stadium food, and I am glad I did. What a spectacle! There was a crowd of over 22,000 and they didn't even fill the stadium, but they made up for it in volume. The Broncos were taking on the Parramatta Eels, and the latter proved a very slippery opponent. The local boys made a lot of mistakes, to the groans of many around me, but also to the delight of just as many Eel fans who were seated in the same section. Periodically a small blimp would tour the stadium, and a woman on horseback with a large Broncos flag would gallop along the sidelines to the tune of "Bonanza." At halftime they brought out two teams of little tykes, about five to six years old, who went at a rugy game themselves with boys and girls sharing in the tackling. It was a hoot, but I am sorry to say, especially for Ronald, that the beloved Broncos lost the game 42-22. I believe the maroon warriors were subjected to a severe tongue lashing by their coach from what I read in this morning's paper. Today I am taking an ambitious walking tour that was laid out in one of my guide books, and will stop for a lengthy visit at the Queensland art gallery to see the "Treasures of the Prado" exhibit. This will all be done at an easy pace, allow plenty of time to consume more Coopers and eat meat pies.

No comments: