Friday, April 5, 2019

New Beginnings

This blog originally began as a record of our trips to Australia, but I quickly added other countries as we had the opportunity to visit them during my career at Montana State University. Now the direction of these entries will change again as I attempt to describe our retirement and decision to move from Bozeman to Bisbee, Arizona.

I have been unemployed since February 28, my last day as the University Archivist for MSU. I spent the waning hours of my last day at a local pub where I was joined by my co-workers Gary and Heather, friends, and well wishers. It was a delightful exit from my job.

My withdrawal from academic life coincided with some of the worst winter weather we have had the misfortune to endure during our near twenty-five year residence in Montana. From what we have heard, it was bad in Arizona, too, but I spent the first few days of my retirement scarcely leaving our little Bozeman cottage as the snow piled up more than three feet. Since we had put the cottage on the market, we were extremely worried about roof collapses and massive ice dams that would lead to water damage to the inside walls. This meant getting up on the roof with snow shovel in hand to risk life and limb to protect property.

If the weather made our decision to leave easier, the kind and loving gestures of our good friends during our last days in Bozeman made us question our resolution to relocate. We were the guests of so many farewell dinners and get-togethers that I shall not attempt to list everyone, lest anyone be accidentally omitted. Suffice to say the many farewells we were offered were heartfelt and appreciated, and a few photographs illustrate the many festivities.

We rented a truck with an automobile trailer on March 22 and began our drive south. Aside from a little rain in Salt Lake City the drive was uneventful, primarily because we had planned on driving through the Utah megalopolis on Sunday morning to avoid the worst of that area’s notorious traffic jams. We arrived in Bisbee on March 25 and immediately took residence, unloading the truck the following day with the help of local hired labor. Now we slowly unpack and plan for the future, which will include periodic updates on this blog. Stay tuned!

No comments: