Sunday, October 12, 2014

Immortal Girona

Today's title comes from the rather grandiose label used by our apartment host in advertising this apartment. It is almost no exaggeration, since this place is built adjacent to ancient fortification walls whose foundations date to the first century BC. We got on the bus this morning at Figueres after spending a quiet evening in the fancy apartment, and when Jayne learned how the windows worked (which were truly engineering marvels in themselves) we gazed out on a beautiful Spanish sunset.
Yeah, I know there is a lamp pole spoiling the profile, but we were in the modern section of the city and only on the second floor of a high rise apartment building. It was a beautiful sight nonetheless.

The bus ride to Girona was only 45 minutes, and I was actually able to ask in Spanish at the bus station for the correct transport. Too bad they all speak Catalan here first, and Spanish second. Nevertheless, I was very proud of myself and hope I impressed Jayne. I haven't been listening to sixteen Pimsleur audio Spanish lesson tapes for nothing! Once we got here it was fairly easy to find the apartment, which is located in the most ancient part of the city and close by the river that bisects the town, traversed by several picturesque bridges. Our host needed a few minutes to finish cleaning up the place, so we walked no more than a hundred yards or so to the cathedral and giant guard towers from the old fortifications. The streets are made of stone and brick around here, and pretty darn slippery when wet (which they were this afternoon from an earlier rainfall).

The apartment is really nice, a modern comfortable flat tucked away in an old building. Best of all, it is right across the river from a huge municipal park which I must walk through tomorrow to register for the meeting. At 10:30 I give my presentation, which is somewhat daunting since I am so tired after all this wandering. However, I am looking forward to seeing other archivists from around the world and participating in this wonderful organization, the International Council on Archives. More on this tomorrow.

No comments: