Thursday, May 9, 2019

Post-Retirement Contract

One of the factors that influenced our decision to move from Bozeman was a desire on my part to not become another ex-academic hanging around campus hoping for some sort of recognition. Some professorial dinosaurs have held out for a post-retirement contract, a way to earn a few shekels without having to attend faculty meetings, but I simply could not see myself doing that. What I have discovered, however, is that retirement in Arizona is a full time job, with chores upon chores to perform in order to whip the Scott headquarters into shape. No contract necessary for these labors.

Jayne has gone to Arkansas to attend the graduation of her niece, Emily, from the University of Arkansas while I stay home and babysit the oldest dog in Bisbee: Willie. Also, just to make sure I have enough to keep me occupied, Jayne prepared a list of accomplishments she would like to see done prior to her return and I have faithfully addressed it. I spent today building a box to raise our refrigerator one foot off the ground and it took me hours to complete the task. Today's picture is not that interesting, but that wooden box represents a considerable effort on my part, not to mention the grunting it took to mount the fridge on top of it. Behold my triumph!

No comments: