Sunday, November 20, 2016

Beachcombing With Marsupials

I am typing these lines while surrounded by dozens of gray kangaroos of both sexes and all ages. These marsupials pose no threat, however. They are the permanent residents of the Murramurang Beach Resort comfortably located on the beach of the national park bearing the same name. We left Collaroy yesterday morning with Ronald and Jane and drove a beautiful back road route around metropolitan Sydney. We saw such lovely countryside, and some really palatial homes. After stopping in a town called Ulladulla for groceries, we arrived at this resort by about four in the afternoon. Jane made us reservations for a two bedroom cabin that is absolutely lovely, right on the beach, and surrounded by the aforementioned ‘roos.

They really are interesting creatures. These ones are quite tame and very interested in humans, and when I first saw them as the evening was coming on I was impressed they allowed me to approach within about ten feet. Even more surprises awaited because after we went back to the cabin a mother and joey came right up to the porch to say hello. Jane, being a brave, fair dikum Aussie girl, boldly allowed mother ‘roo to sniff her hand and then began to pet her! I took courage from this and tied it myself. What an experience!

This morning I took a walk along the beach, about a mile I would estimate, and ended up sitting on some rocks that were shaped very strangely by the erosion. As I looked out over the Pacific at the rising sun, I felt totally at ease and in harmony with the planet. Then I looked down at my feet and within a small tidal pool etched out of the rock a medium sized crab was looking up at me. He looked like a water-borne tarantula, but he had no place to hide so I got to study him a bit. The day ahead looks good!

No comments: