Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Life is an Airport

I remember years ago when I was returning home from a conference when the thought occurred to me that the future was going to be like living in an airport, and I think I was right.

Airports are obsessed with security and one gets the feeling that one is under constant surveillance (which is true).

Everything is super expensive in an airport, from the five dollar hot dogs to the ten dollar beers.

Airports are crowded, noisy, and extremely uncomfortable.

Airports have no soul.

Now I am typing these lines while enjoying a paid admission to a "sky club" facility where we were able to indulge in a hot shower, free beer, and complimentary snacks which include a delicious chicken salad. That being said, this place still has no recliner seats, no furniture that invites lounging at all, and in spite of its relative quiet it is far from a comfortable place to kill a five hour layover.

As I contemplate what is in store for our society after this wretched election, I feel like my impressions of the future are coming true. I fully expect to be watched, to be uncomfortable, and to pay more for everything. Indeed, the future is turning out to be an airport.

No comments: