Thursday, November 24, 2016

Bush Turkey Day

First of all a disclaimer: we did NOT see a bush turkey on today’s bush walk, but we did spot a lyre bird dashing off into the underbrush, which is almost as good. Regardless, this is about as close to the symbol of Thanksgiving and Benjamin Franklin’s choice for a national bird that we are going to get on this day. Although it is Friday here, as I type these lines I know so many of our loved ones are digesting their own turkey feasts, and I have just contented myself with a plate of microwave nachos. Happy Thanksgiving to one and all.

We had intended today on taking a sea cruise from Narooma to Montague Island, a nature preserve off the coast about forty miles south of here. However the captain of our charter boat did not want a live rehearsal for “Gilligan’s Island” and had been watching the height of the sea swells all week to determine if it would be safe enough for a three hour cruise. Alas, it was not to be, and so we contented ourselves with a walk to see the tallest (or second tallest; it depends on who you ask) tree in New South Wales. It was a beautiful walk through a forest that looked very much like the set of a “Jurrasic Park” movie and the day was both cool, sunny, and relatively fly-free. The tree itself is somewhat underwhelming, but on the way back we had our encounter with the aforementioned lyre bird.

Other wildlife sightings today include the ever-present kagaroos, some dolphins that have appeared in the water right off the beach in front of our cabin, lorakeets who act like they have a right to access the interior of our home, and some rather aggressive ducks that attacked me during my morning walk to get the newspaper at the park headquarters. I am proud to say I have finally found a use for Rupert Murdoch’s Sydney Daily Telegraph because I used it to fend off the duck who clearly meant me harm.

No comments: