Monday, November 28, 2016

When Animals Go Horribly Wrong

I do not think the birds of Australia like me. First there was the unprovoked duck attack at the Murramurang Resort last week, and yesterday, here in North Manly, a small brownish bird that I cannot identify swooped at my head as I walked to the store. The bird, smaller than a “honey eater” but similarly colored, had already given the chap walking a dozen yards ahead the “what for,” so I was somewhat prepared. Perhaps protecting her nest, this little bird was a daredevil attacker, and later in the day as Jayne and I waited for a bus across the street we watched as it swooped over to our side occasionally and then back across to disappear in the same bushes.

Another animal encounter last night was just as exciting when I went to the bathroom and discovered a roach about the size of a small dog. There I was, unarmed, and helpless to destroy the creature as it scurried across the floor and into the main chamber of this little rental house. No doubt caused by the encounter, I had an uneasy sleep until Jayne awoke with a midnight mission to the restroom herself. I told her of the monster bug and, true to her nature, she was undeterred. Sizing up the situation, she quickly grabbed my rubber flip-flop sandal and dispatched another large one in the bathroom in less time than it takes me to type this line. Brave girl!

We move into the central business district of Sydney tomorrow to be in proximity of the conference, but in spite of the aforementioned midnight safari I do not wish to leave my few readers with the impression that our present headquarters is anything but charming. It is a lovely little cabin in a private backyard, and regardless of the visitation of any eight legged fauna it has to be one of the better places we have ever stayed. If only a little shop or something was nearer than a kilometer it would be perfect. That and perhaps a club for night time bathroom visits.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I do not wish to leave my few readers ... "

Just so you know, your posts are the highlights of my day. I look forward to them.

Brian.