Sunday, February 6, 2011

Cool enough for Spicy

What a change twenty four hours can make. Yesterday morning it was still hot enough to stagger down to the beach in search of relief. Ron, Jane, Cindy and Barbara all came over to the apartment and we went down to the safety flags to challenge the surf. This time I left my keys wrapped in my shirt and stuffed into my hat, both of were guarded by Ron who scorned the flag zone. The water felt pretty darn good, and one giant wave tossed me to the bottom where a vigorous meeting with the sand helped remove any excess skin I may have been carrying around.

By the afternoon, however, the sky began to darken and the wind blew with considerable force from the southwest. Light rain began to fall, and the force of the wind howling through the apartment made the fans superfluous. Before too many more minutes, it was actually COOL, and I found the wearing of long pants not to be intolerable. The change in the apartment comfort level spurred me into action, and I cooked two pans of home made enchiladas without breaking a sweat. By the time Ron, Jane, and Cindy arrived at 6:00 pm, only the aroma of Mexican spices greeted them at the door rather than the blast furnace of yesterday. I believe the cooking was to their liking, and I know it was to mine. Now I face leftovers for breakfast and it is not an unpleasant prospect.

Today is the Super Bowl in America, an occasion also usually marked by the consumption of spicy food. I think it ought to be on some Australian station, and if so I will give it a glance today while I enjoy the continuation of this cool weather.

1 comment:

Libraryland Lady said...

The meal was indeed to our liking!