Monday, February 7, 2011

Stupor Bowl Party

Everybody says they enjoy the commercials during the Super Bowl, and some people admit that the expensive ads are one of the main reasons they watch the show. I guess you could count me in that latter group, so you can imagine my boredom with the game yesterday when every commercial break took me back to the same Australian ads I have been seeing for days. No talking babies, no chimps in funny clothes, just Aussies hawking Hungry Jack hamburgers and Holden pickups. The game itself was not much of a surprise for me; having two colleagues from Wisconsin I not only knew the team to root for, but also the team that would win.

There was little to do around the apartment after the game, although I did manage to get outside in the lovely cool weather to take a stroll down to the shops. In addition to a “Vinnies,” (St. Vincent de Paul thrift store) there is a fine used book store with volumes stacked to the ceiling. I had yet to finish A Tale of Two Cities, the book I brought along with me from the states, and I knew that Jane had another to loan me later that day, so I did not purchase any of the tomes that beckoned from the dusty shelves. However, I will be back. I cannot resist the siren call of a used book store.

Last night at Ronald’s we had Thai curry, which was delicious. I foolishly added too many of the peppers that stood as a condiment for the feast, so I had to get a second helping of rice to deal with the heat. Fortunately the heat was entirely on the palate since the weather continued cool and breezy until the time for my return to the apartment. I got one last call in to Jayne before going to bed to wish her a pleasant journey, and now I count the hours until her arrival here. Its been quite lonesome.

No comments: