Thursday, February 3, 2011

The News from Lake Woebegone

Today’s title comes from an interesting criticism that came to light after my talk. Jane told me that after I left, the next speaker took the podium with her slide and powerpoint presentation and started off with the comment, “Well, no one told me I was going to have to follow Garrison Keillor!” I suppose it was intended as a dismissive insult, but I have taken it to be the highest compliment. (Although if she meant I LOOK like Garrison, I am severely offended!)

Today is the first day that I don’t really have anything to do. My groceries are adequate, I have plenty of laundry, dishwasher and other soaps, and I have explored the bus route south enough for a while. My “dongle” for internet access is now working, and although it took me several hours to figure out how to activate it, at least I don’t even need to leave the kitchen to post messages on the blog. All I really need now is Jayne to make this stay a perfect ten.

I have enjoyed reading the Manly Daily newspaper again. It is full of curious little stories about the lifestyle here on the northern beaches of Sydney. The first time we were here in 2008 the very first headline I saw was “A Snake’s in my Bed!” and featured a front page photo of a woman reclining on her mattress while regarding a slithery reptile in the foreground. This time around the headlines have been more mundane, although yesterday’s lead story about local road conditions was heralded with bold type that demanded “Fix our Nightmare!" I am sure the traffic and potholes are bad around here, but I think the situation in Queensland after Cyclone Yasi and the floods of last month more properly fit the definition of nightmare.

No comments: