Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Technodolt

I had my big presentation in front of a small, somewhat bored, audience of the assembled Australian Library and Information Association yesterday. I had no powerpoints to show, no videos, no internet websites, just my twenty minute talk about the death of reading and the demise of the book. There is simply no telling how it was received, except I can definitely testify that the applause at the conclusion of my remarks seemed somewhat forced. I was glad enough to get out of there, running off to catch the Manly ferry and get back home in time to participate in trivia night at the Fishos club on Pittwater Street with Ronald and his friends.

Today I rode the bus down to the mall to purchase a "dongle,' a prepaid device that theoretically allows one to tap into the internet, but of course I cannot do it. Fifty dollars and two hours later I found myself so frustrated that I returned to this internet cafe to post an entry and perhaps calm down a bit. I note there is a computer store across the street from this Subway and I will, as a last resort, take my laptop and newly purchased "dongle" to these chaps and offer them some money to make it work for me. It certainly would be more convenient than peddling down here in the midday heat. I would estimate the temperature to be about 95 degrees with humidity to match, a bit severe for a Wonderbread white Montanan like myself.

I spoke with Jayne again this morning. It seems that if I call her every day about sunrise I can catch her, and its a real comfort to hear her voice. I cant wait for her to join me here.

No comments: