Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Research Ramble

Since I had nothing to do today other than to wait for the weather gods to allow Jayne to fly to Australia, I decided to take a research trip into the city. The State Library of New South Wales is just a few blocks from Circular Quay, and it was easy enough to remind myself of the route after my brisk ferry ride across the harbor. I did not enjoy the scenery too much on this harbor crossing and it is all Jane’s fault for loaning me a copy of A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry. I took it along to read and had a lot of trouble putting it down for any length of time. An excellent Indian novel, this story is taking a delightful amount of time examining the background of each character, and I am thoroughly enjoying it.

I write these lines from the bowels of the Mitchell Library where they allow free internet access (and free air conditioning…..I wonder what this place was like last Saturday…..) I am rather pleased with myself, having uncovered the identity of the principal character I needed to document on this trip. I have even established a speculative link between this chap and one of the founding board of trustee members of Royal National Park, so this was a fruitful expedition indeed. I will probably linger here in the city until late afternoon, when I will return to the Manly Fishos club to play trivia with Ron’s mates.

Jayne should be here tomorrow. I sure hope so.

No comments: