Monday, August 6, 2012

Horror in the Harbor

This country loves its whales, so when a baby humpback calf was hit this morning by a Manly ferry boat, it was all over the news. The calf sustained a pretty nasty wound, and the propeller of the Colloroy was damaged in the collision. I believe I caught the next ferry out after it happened, and I am glad I was not early yesterday. The story provides a dramatic diversion from the Olympic games coverage. The games are discussed and dissected at great length these days, and as many people who are decrying Australia's lack of gold as there are people who are telling them to quit whinging (I spelled that the Aussie way). Neither side will likely stop for a while. Wyatt is coming to Manly today and we will likely stroll down to the far beach for a chat and lunch. I am looking forward to seeing my new friend, the son of an old one.

No comments: