Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Shmoo do you Think you Are?

First off, let me explain my title. Al Capp may not be remembered by many, but in his time his "Lil Abner" was one of the most popular comic strips in America, and it even inspired a successful movie musical. Aside from Daisy Mae and a host of other characters, Capp introduced these strange creatures called "Shmoos" that were little blobs who only existed to please humans. They were loveable little blobs with narrow heads and very wide behinds, and tasted delicious depending on your mood. But the cartoonist's legacy is not as upbeat as his cheerful Shmoos. In his later days, Al Capp became a rather nasty conservative and I can recall as a young teen listening to radio commentaries he made that would be comparable to Rush Limbaugh's irritating style today. Now to bring relevance to this introduction it is time to relate the day's events. Wyatt called me yesterday morning and told me he would arrive on the 10:30 ferry, so I met him for a very pleasant day. We walked far out onto the North Head where I briefly dipped my feet into the Pacific at Shelly Beach. We also climbed the walkway for a view further out, but I could tell that temperatures pleasant to me were freezing to my companion, so we turned our steps back to the Corso. The Ivanhoe hotel was the venue of a very nice lunch, and I had some of the best roast lamb I have ever tasted, chased with a Cooper's of course. We then made our way back to my little headquarters, and I suggested that we hike up to the statute of a kangaroo I knew was on the opposite hillside. If Wyatt was skeptical he kept it to himself, and soon we were crashing along a wooded footpath in a very steep climb. At the top we found the statue, but time and the elements had reduced it to a blob with arms, reminding me very much of a "shmoo" as I snapped Wyatt's portrait at the base. In the evening we took the ferry into Circular Quay where we met Wyatt's fiance, Shelly, for dinner at a very nice place. I was glad enough to get home after that because my feet were killing me from all the hiking I have done in the last week. Today I believe I will simply sit on the beach and read.

No comments: