Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Grasshoppers Bus to Nimbin

I went to Nimbin today and had more fun than the law should allow, but I was hardly alone. This charming little mountain town has been on the front lines of civil disobedience for decades, and yet have remained largely "uncommercial." Truly one of the most unique communities I have ever seen, the population was all about the lifestyle, regardless of age. Our tour guy was Ivan, a very entertaining South African who had been in Oz about thirty years. He gave some very valuable advice/warnings to everyone once we arrived, and I believe he was heeded. The tour also stopped at a pretty nice pub in the morning which served me my second best cup of coffee I have had on the trip. The best cup of coffee I have had on trip was had but an hour later at the cafe within the town's museum. Instead of featuring static displays, the museum is actually a work of art in progress within the walls of an old storefront/house . Each room was a combination of sculpture, mural, decoupage, and just about any other art form you could imagine, most of which was directed at the continued resistance of unjust laws. I was overwhelmed with it's complexity and complemented the curator, who I was later informed was the unofficial mayor of this burg. We stopped for a great barbeque at a reservoir that serves and the main water supply of Byron Bay. After that meal we headed to a waterfall and pool that would have been very inviting on a hot day. As it was, the weather was perfect, with bright sunshine and temperatures I would estimate in the upper seventies. The driver got us back to the lodge where I now await the shuttle bus into town. I feel like eating again.

No comments: