Sunday, August 19, 2012

Super Saturday Football

I am tapping out this dispatch in the Brisbane train station where I linger for a while awaiting the time when I can check into my hotel. I arrived here after an all night journey in a private railway berth which I made extra cozy by using my little portable MP3 player and stereo booster. While watching the countryside roll by, I was listening to the Beatles and the Pure Prairie League and reflecting on my time in the country thus far. The last day with Ronald was dominated by sport. We lounged around the house in the morning (or at least I lounged; Ronald had to clean up the house before Jane got home) and then in the afternoon we made our way down to the Warringah Rats oval for a live rugby game between the Rats and the Penrith Emus. It was a rather intimate affair, for the day was blustery and the crowd light. We managed to get good seats as a result, under the stadium cover and blocked from the wind. The game turned out to be a lopsided affair, with the Emus only scoring once close to the end of the game, while the Rats piled up try after try. As soon as that game was done, we went back to Ronald's house where we tuned into the NRL games and cooked a nice batch of pork ribs for dinner. The games did not conclude until about nine fifteen, and we were both ready to sleep soundly after that. The next morning we did more lounging before Ronald drove me to the Central Railway station in Sydney to catch my train here. Now I will need to get my act together for the conference tomorrow, going over my speech and planning how I will get all this stuff back on the airplane for the trip home.

No comments: