Sunday, August 12, 2012

Revisionist History

On Saturday night I met Wyatt and Shelly for an evening of revisionist history. They arrived in Manly in the early afternoon, having driven up from their home in Engadine, and we had some coffee on the Corso before starting out. I was suprised they wanted to go all the way into Chatswood, a section of north Sydney, but they had their reasons as I soon discovered. Within the shopping mall they took me was a sushi restaurant where all the little dishes parade around in front of the counter-seated diners along a conveyor belt, and there was an unbelievable number of strange and truly beautiful treats to enjoy. Being an old fart, I am squeamish about eating raw fish, but there was plenty of cooked crab and chicken rolls to sample, along with a really tasty pair of pork "potstickers" that were delicious. I also ate my first soft shelled crab, which was like a toothsome fried insect that made me yearn for more. After this repast we made our way to the movie theater where we were educated on the real course of American history by watching "Abraham Lincoln; Vampire Hunter." I cannot describe this film adequately, and must simply say it was the most pretentious, silly thing I ever recall watching. Honest Abe as an axe-wielding Nija taking on the dark forces which had aligned with Jefferson Davis made me giggle uncontrollably in the dark theater, perhaps to the annoyance of some Aussies around us who took the whole thing far too seriously. On Sunday morning Ronald came and picked me up at the bungalow, driving me up to his comfortable home in Narrabeen. We spent the afternoon getting provision (rum, beer, and a little food) and then settled in for a double rugby game broadcast on the television. Poor Ronald had to watch his Broncos get stomped again, but it was old news for me having seen them get a terrible thrashing before when I went to the game in Brisbane. In all, a most enjoyable day.

No comments: